Literary Excursions

Friday, June 23, 2006

The Da Vinci Code - Reading

Here's a highly talked about book. So many weeks on the best seller list, translated into so many different languages. So much controversy. So much to tell, so much to talk about, everyone should read it, yet I still can't manage to get past chapter 5.

I think people have hyped this book up too much for me, and when a book is not introduced to you in the right way, I believe that either you lose interest in it, or when you eventually read it you're left unsatisfied. I believe this is what this book will be like for me. Many have told me that since the movie is out, I should watch the movie first and then read the book, otherwise I will not enjoy the movie since the book is so much better. The other reason I can not bring myself to read this book is that it is the illustrated edition and it's hard cover, therefore making it large and difficult to take to work, to read in bed or simply on the couch. Holding it is a real task. Maybe if I had the soft cover I would've finished it by now, yet the pics in this book really add to the story. Being able to see exactly what the author is talking about is a real advantage, although it comes with its disadvantages also. I will re-attempt this in the future.

1 Comments:

  • Yuh, I totally agree. I think it's way too hyped up. I think the Da Vinci Code takes a bit of getting into. I read, like you, a couple of chapters to start with, and thought meh. Picked it up couple months later. Once it starts going, it starts going.

    You should maybe consider reading Angels and Demons first, I think it's a better book, but then again, that might be because it's not been so hyped up. I don't know.

    It's the same with everything. Books. Films. Songs. If people go on and on about it, you get your hopes up, then you read/watch/listen to it, and it disappoints.

    By Blogger prillopie, at 6:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home